Monday, May 2, 2011

Experimental Low PUFA Diet

My attempt at dietary modification of my tissue PUFA concentrations is an experiment.  After skimming through searches I could not find reliable and detailed information on a low PUFA diet.  Apparently the lack of information on reducing PUFA concentrations in vivo through dietary modification is a known issue.  I discovered the following quote from this article by Ray Peat:


"Metabolic intensity and longevity can be modified by changing the degree of saturation of fats in the diet and tissues, but--despite almost a century of sporadic investigations--no one has yet worked out in detail the most appropriate way to do this."


You can follow my amateur experimental diet on Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb site.

1 comment:

  1. I came across this while looking for ANYONE actually eating a very low PUFA diet. A lot of people tell me how bad PUFA is. While I tend to agree when it comes to corn oil or canola oil, I think fish, chicken, nuts, and eggs are good food. But anyway, I wanted to see if I could find some people actually sticking to a low PUFA diet. There aren't many, it seems!

    Anyway, my experiment has been on a low-uric-acid diet ... avoiding foods that are known to aggravate gout. This includes beer, high-purine foods, and fructose (most all sugars except dextrose and maltodextrin), and foods fortified with iron. Add eggs and white fish because those lower uric acid. Drink lots of water. It's an easy diet: I still get my rice and potatoes, fried eggs and hashbrowns, fruit, and most other foods I like. I do still eat meat, just a bit less often.

    My results: my appetite disappeared, and so have 30 lbs so far. My sore joints disappeared too. Just sharing in case you want to try another experiment!

    ReplyDelete