Saturday, June 25, 2011

Experimental Diet With A Diluted Twist

So I started this new experiment to reduce my stored PUFA concentrations by using fasting.  The idea is simply to use dilution.  I would fast to burn off about 20% of my stored fat then spend an equal amount of time refeeding on low PUFA foods.  Imagine it like diluting a can of paint, pouring off some dark paint and replacing it with light paint.  With each dilution the mixture becomes lighter.

The big question is "Will it work?"

If I understand how free fatty acids work in the body, it seems they are constantly flowing into and out of fat cells.  The stored body fat is a mixture of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats.  These fats are in a constant state of being stored and released from adipocytes (fat cells).  Fat from a meal or the liver is mixed with the free fatty acids in the blood.  If you continue to eat the same foods over time then your stored fat will eventually resemble the fat composition of what you have been eating.

Here in the United States there has been a massive transition to polyunsaturated fats in the form of seed oils (such as soybean, canola, sunflower, peanut, and many more).  These seed oils are in bread, potato chips, snack foods, fried foods, and more.  Because they are fed to farm animals they even begin to show up in pork, poultry, and eggs.  One is walking in a minefield of polyunsaturated fats unless specific diligence is used.

Added to this is the confusion over what is a healthy fat.  The human body can make saturated and monounsaturated fats.  That is how important they are.  Polyunsaturated fats are difficult to avoid in nature.  Unless one is on a scientifically designed diet to exclude polyunsaturated fats it is unlikely that they can be completely avoided.  Polyunsaturated fats have been termed "essential" and that can make something which is unavoidable seem far too important.

I see the problem of obesity coming from polyunsaturated fats being too highly concentrated in the standard American diet at this time.  If they are reduced to a much lower level then obesity and all of the health problems associated with it should disappear.  However, making the change today will not produce significant results tomorrow.  It will take time...perhaps a few years.

The ratio of fats stored in the human body is compiled from the ratio of fats consumed and produced by the body over the last several years.  To reduce half of the body's tissue concentration of polyunsaturated fat would require about 680 days of eating a diet reflecting that reduced amount of fat.  Weight loss, if it is to be permanent, may take several years.

But what happens if you reduce your body's stored amount of PUFAs and replace them with saturated or monounsaturated fats?  It seems this can be accomplished in less than a year using the dilution method I mentioned above.  But would it produce the weight loss?  If not then what results would it produce?  The answer at this time is unknown.  That is why I am attempting a dilution experiment.  My experimental diet journal is on Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb website if you want to see where I am in the experiment so far.

5 comments:

  1. You have stated that eating "short-chain fatty acids" may "converve" PUFAs.

    I disagree with your statement. Short-chain fatty acids lower your body fat set point, so you will lose fat and deplete PUFAs.

    Also, short-chain fatty acids, by restoring thyroid function, will up-regulate your body's detoxification abilities, so you can detoxify the PUFA byproducts.

    Read here: http://metabolicdrift.blogspot.com/2010/04/milk-diet-week-1.html?showComment=1309359751960#c272868251351196670

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phentermine...

    nice post thanks for sharing.

    http://www.PhentermineHome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is the low PUFA diet going? I attempted extremely low fat for about 2 weeks recently (so very very low PUFA), and had acne flare up to its worst in a long time. Which lead me to believe that this can be very toxic to the body... moderation and time might be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still consuming low PUFA at this time. However, I am no longer posting my daily weights and notes. I still keep track of my daily weight, but it is not reducing.

    Low fat is one way of going low PUFA, but it is difficult for me. I cannot seem to stop eating when I go low fat. I also experience depression which I find concerning.

    I have been eating high saturated fat lately and ironically I have also had an acne flare-up. If reducing PUFA affects weight, it will probably take quite a bit of time as you suggest. I do get about 5g or so of PUFA per day, but I don't think I've gone over 10g in a single day in the last three months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disagree with your statement. Short-chain fatty acids lower your body fat set point, so you will lose fat and deplete PUFAs.


    Tosca Aura series Facial bar

    ReplyDelete