Friday, May 25, 2012

"Oh, by the way..."

I was talking to a friend just now on the phone.  As the conversation was winding down I casually mentioned that I solved the cause of the obesity epidemic.  The conversation went something like this:

"Oh, by the way I figured out what was causing the obesity epidemic."

(Trying to sound interested) "Did you?"

"Yeah, I wrote about it on my blog.  I've lost over 20 lbs. now.  I'm not even on a diet or anything."

(Trying to sound encouraging) "Well that's great. Charlie, I may lose you because I'm on an elevator right now. So I'll talk to you later."

"Okay, I'll talk to you later."

According to the CDC, the medical costs of obesity is estimated to be around $150 billion this year.  A tiny fraction of that would allow me to retire for life.  But the reality is that I am not a scientist or a doctor.  As of right now there have been almost 1400 page views of my article titled "Obesity: My Unexpected Final Conclusion".  It is by far the most viewed article on my blog and the most important thing I have ever written or possibly ever will write.

However, we live in a world of converging ideas where even unbelievably complex things like calculus and the telephone were simultaneously invented at virtually the same time.  It is HIGHLY doubtful that I am the first person to discover that the obesity epidemic was caused by ad libitum eating and can be corrected by discrete meals.  My problem is that if someone else discovered it before me they weren't making it easy to find that information.  I'm not exactly sure how to get this message out more effectively, either.

You would think that people would be clamoring to get a hold of the information which could fix their weight issue and help them have a real shot at improving their health for the long term.  The reality is that people are shockingly indifferent.  The subject of obesity is like the little boy who cried wolf so much that now nobody is paying attention when the real wolf shows up.

I'll keep trying to get the message out, but this is going to take much more time than I thought it would.

2 comments:

  1. Charles, I read your blog post and thought it was insightful. Ahead of you on this line of thinking is Bryon Richard who published "Mastering Leptin". He recommends discrete meals, never any snacks. After adapting many of his ideas, I found Dr. Jack Kruse who has a really great idea called Leptin Rx which involves discrete meals with no snacks but you start with a BAB (big a** breakfast). As long as you never skip bkft, he suggests you can skip meals until you feel hungry but never eat after ~6-7pm: four hours before bedtime. He has some other great ideas I'm incorporating to great success.
    I hope you keep writing about your observations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. From a review of Mastering Leptin, it seems he is promoting eating 3 meals a day with no snacks between. While that certainly is sound advice for preventing obesity, he also is promoting odd and unnecessary advice such as:

    Never go to bed on an empty stomach.
    Eat a high protein breakfast.
    Eat less carbohydrates.
    Avoid large meals.

    It is absurd advice like this that confuses people about obesity and what is causing it. Body fat is not reduced by eating food so eating 3 meals a day can definitely be self defeating and slow down one's progress.

    Being able to eat what you want and as much as you want after feeling an empty stomach and hunger completely eliminates any fear of deprivation. Instead of promoting large meal consumption, it gives confidence in controlling meal size and frequency.

    Also, as it takes time to reduce body fat and correct hormone regulation one should not be restricted in when they eat with regard to "bedtime". This is simply more confusing and unnecessary advice.

    Leptin's recent discovery and association with appetite had made it seem as if it might be a promising piece of the obesity puzzle. But insulin's effect is undeniable when it comes to gaining weight. If a person's appetite was so out of control and keeping them from being able to eat discrete meals, perhaps leptin could be playing a role in that. I've just never observed that in myself or others.

    Ultimately the leptin theory of causing the obesity epidemic did not fit my observations, did not explain the sudden rise in obesity, and must be ruled out.

    ReplyDelete