Sunday, May 6, 2012

What Did I Eat Last Night?

It had been approximately 51 hours since my last meal.  I felt I could hold out longer, but after a trip to the store for groceries I began to succumb.  Surrounded by food and having to think about meals triggered some strong hunger in me.  But I had earned that hunger.

I decided to go to McDonalds and here is what I ate:

1 Bacon Angus Cheeseburger
1 Medium French Fries
1 Medium Chocolate Shake
1 Chipotle BBQ Sauce Packet
3 Ketchup Pakets

And when I got home a few minutes later I ate:

2 Store Bought Cookies
12 or 16 oz of Dr. Pepper

My estimate of calories from that meal is 2500.  That is a day's worth of calories for a lot of people.  I ate that in a single meal!  Normally I do not get a chocolate shake with my burger and fries.  That was an indulgence.  I usually just get a soft drink...usually Coke.  Eating cookies as a dessert is something I might have done an hour or two after eating the burger and fries, but not usually within the same meal time frame.

As I write this, that meal was about 9 hours ago.  I haven't eaten since then.  I'm not sure how long I will go before eating again.  That meal still feels like it is being digested, so I'll be satisfied for a while.  All of that sugar, fat, and protein is very satiating.  But there was a problem.  It sapped my energy.

After I ate that meal I felt drained.  I just wanted to relax and rest.  It could have been the type of food that I ate, but I have to experiment a bit to find out.  Other types of food may affect me in a different way.  I'll play around with it a bit and see if I notice anything.  For me, that "drained" feeling is usually gone after about 12 hours.

51 hours is an unusually long time to go between meals for me, but I have fasted for as long as 7 days in the past.  The difference now is that I know better what to do after a fast to prevent gaining all that weight back.  I do not think going 51 hours or more is necessary or should even be a goal.  It depends on how you feel after you eat.  Although 51 hours is the longest I've gone so far, I have also gone as short as 9 hours between meals since I started this a couple weeks ago.

My meal sizes and compositions also vary.  They all include protein, fats, and carbohydrates but the ratios are not consistent.  I like Jon Gabriel's advice on adding "live" food and protein to a meal.  By "live" food I think he is saying raw fruits and raw vegetables.  He also recommends adding something with omega 3, but I think that is not good advice (since I am a PUFAphobe).

Since I started eating less often, I feel like I am starting to become much more discerning about food.  It doesn't seem to be enough to just eat.  It seems I am better able to determine which foods are affecting me in what way.  I don't want to blow my treasured appetite on impoverished meals.  I think I understand why the French are enjoying their paradox.




7 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't have a meal with your family before you went to the grocery store. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I wasn't very hungry before I went to the grocery store. I was very hungry after.

      Delete
  2. I think you're on to something (I've read Pilon as well as "The NO S Diet" and some leptin diet books that discourage snacking). However, I don't think there's one silver bullet. You need to look at food as fuel...and what you ate after that 51 hours was frankly garbage. I'm surprised someone worried about PUFAs and high-fructose corn syrup would eat all that.

    Having said that, I occasionally binge and have a massive cheat day or cheat meal as well, but after all that fasting...that's what you put in your body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ICG,

      Thanks for your comment. I certainly have not figured out what foods are optimal and why. The most important thing for me right now is to understand what is causing obesity and to show that it is not caused by certain foods. It may turn out that people find themselves drawn to ad libitum eating by the availability to consume certain food, but it is not the foods themselves which cause obesity.

      Which foods are optimal is probably going to be more difficult and controversial to determine. But there are a LOT of people working on that. I'm of the opinion that it would take a long time to damage the body with many foods we consider inferior. An occasional indulgence is unlikely to harm us.

      But we just don't know for certain, yet.

      Delete
    2. Charles, sure, there are many theories and competing diets out there. But it doesn't mean we just give up and eat the worst kind of fast food (except on occasion). I mostly subscribe to JERF (just eat real food). Whether it's a fruit smoothie, sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil, grassfed beef, salmon, wild blackberries you just picked, spinach, etc.

      All these foods are dense with nutrients, fiber, good fats or all of the above. However, what you ate wasn't. You may have gotten a little nutrition from the beef and potatoes overcooked in really bad fats, but that's about it. Your body would've been much better off with real food of any sort, especially after not having any for 51 hours. Peace, ICG.

      Delete
  3. Wow, can't we just wait 4-5 hours or so between 3 meals during the day, and maybe no eating during 8 hours of sleep? 51 hours seems a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can wait however long they want to. I'm perhaps a bit more motivated than others. What you suggest would be the standard time throughout the world and is perfectly acceptable.

      Delete